Please watch the video in the â€œReadings and Resourcesâ€ section above on equal pay and share your views on whether we have an equal pay problem in the U.S. and why or why not? Have you or anyone close to you ever experienced gender pay inequality on the job? If yes, please explain.
Readings and Resources
Milkovich, George T., Newman, J. M., & Gerhart, B. (2014). Compensation (11th ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- Chapter 17 – Government and Legal Issues in Compensation
- Chapter 18 – Management: Making it Work
Articles & Websites:
Monica Parpal, M.; Labor Cost Standards in the Food Industry:
- This article provides an example of the types of labor costs employers can control in the restaurant business.
Andre, C. & Velasquez, M. (n.d.). Comparable worth. Santa Clara University.
- This article seeks to make a case in support of â€œComparable Worth.â€
Reed, L. W. (1994, September). Comparable worth or incomparably worthless. Mackinac Center for Public Policy.
- This article seeks to make a case against â€œComparable Worth.â€
| Watch Video There Is No Gender Wage Gap
YouTube URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcDrE5YvqTs
Here is another look at this controversial issue. This video covers some of the real logic behind the “Gender Wage Gap”.
Watch Video The Evolving Compensation Function
YouTube URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2l2-k5HYuA
|Use the video to assist you with your response for Unit 8.1 DB: Equal Pay for Equal Work. This video seeks to address the widely reported and often politicized debate over equal pay for women.||In this video compensation experts Cathy Peffen and Julie Griffin discuss results of a survey of the changing role of compensation and career advice for early-career professionals.|
- The U.S. Department of Laborâ€™s mission is â€œto foster, promote, and develop the welfare of the wage earners, job seekers, and retirees of the United States; improve working conditions; advance opportunities for profitable employment; and assure work-related benefits and rights.â€ This website provides information on relevant Federal laws, regulations, employment statistics and study reports on employment in the United States.