To prepare for the Discussion:
- Read this weekâ€™s course text chapters. Consider the roles marketing plays in firms and the two essential elements of a marketing strategy: a target market and a marketing mix.
- Read the Comstock, Gulati, and Liguori (2010) article.
- After reviewing the Readings, select a company that currently operates domestically in the United States or your home country.
- Consider the marketing strategies the company you selected can employ to grow its market share in the United States.
- Then, consider whether the company should use the same marketing strategy or a different one to gain market share in an international market.
I. Prepare the following:
- A brief description of the company you selected, including its products or services and the market or markets it serves.
- Describe two marketing strategies that firms can select for growing their market share domestically.
- Explain which of the two marketing strategies you selected should be adopted by your chosen company to continue its growth in its current domestic market and explain why this strategy would be effective.
- Explain whether the company should use this same marketing strategy to grow internationally or into other markets or regions or whether it needs to employ a different one.
- Give an example of how the marketing strategy (or strategies) you have selected would apply in the domestic and international context. Provide a rationale to support your conclusions.
II. Prepare a list describing two activities that you did over a weekend, along with the following:
- Describe any products or services you used or purchased to engage in these activities and the brand used or purchased.
- For which of these products do you think the brand was the most important influence in your choice? Explain your position.
Perreault Jr., W. D., Cannon, J. P., & McCarthy, E. J. (2014). Basic marketing: A marketing strategy planning approach (19th ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- Chapter 1, â€œMarketingâ€™s Value to Consumers, Firms, and Societyâ€ (pp. 2â€“29)
Chapter 2, â€œMarketing Strategy Planningâ€ (pp. 30â€“55)