- Initial Response Due: Wednesday by 11:59pm
- Response to at least TWO Classmates Due: Friday by 11:59pm
For this week’s discussion, we will think about the way language shapes our thinking. Please watch the TED talk below and think about it in both meaning and as an argument. Also, I want you to think about word choice and the language we use as a strategy to connect with our audience when we write. Remember to be specific when answering the questions.
After watching the following TED Talk, please answer the following questions:
- How does language shape the way we think, according to the speaker?
- Who do you think her intended audience and purpose is for this talk?
- If you were to do a rhetorical analysis on, would you say she was successful in convincing her audience and getting her purpose across? Why or why not?
- What was your biggest takeaway or AHA moment from this Talk?
- Does watching this talk make you think differently about how you use language? Explain.
“How Language Shapes the Way We Think” | Lera Boroditsky
- Your initial response should be about 150-300 words per question.
- Your response to at least two classmates should be about 150-200 words long and be more than “I agree” or “I like what you said.” Engage in conversation!