Assignment 1: Discussionâ€”Materials Science: Designing Form to Fit Function
Materials science is an interdisciplinary field where science and technology are used to develop and apply our understanding of matter at the atomic level to improve existing or to make new materials. It is a fusion of the basic scientific fields of physics and chemistry where knowledge of atomic theory, molecular bonding, and the macroscopic properties of metals, ceramics, and plastics come together to solve manufacturing and engineering problems.
Use the Internet, Argosy University library resources, and your textbook to research materials science. Do the following:
- Discuss scientific and technical concepts related to materials science. Use the manufacturing of one of the following materials as the basis for your response:
- Discuss how materials science has advanced to the stage where materials can be engineered to fit a specific purpose.
- Provide an example of an application or object that is made of materials specifically engineered for that purpose.
Support your statements with examples. Provide a minimum of three scholarly references.
Write your initial response in 2â€“3 paragraphs. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
By Saturday, February 28, 2015 post your response to the appropriate Discussion Area.
Assignment 2: Nanotechnology Applications
Nanotechnology (also called nanotech) is a branch of materials science that deals with manipulating matter on the atomic scale. It is so called because this field deals with engineering on the scale of a billionth of a meter, also known as a nanometer. Nanotechnology seeks to solve a wide range of problems from the construction of atomic scale machines to changing material properties at the atomic level.
Use the Internet, Argosy University library resources, and your textbook to research the field of nanotechnology.
Write a paper discussing some of the basic scientific and technical concepts of nanotechnology. Do the following in your paper:
- Discuss current or future applications of nanotechnology in fields such as medicine, engineering, space exploration, fuel cell development, air and water purification, and agriculture.
- Provide at least three examples of real-world applications in use or in development with reliable references.
Write a 2â€“3-page paper in Word format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
By Wednesday, March 4, 2015, deliver your assignment to the M2: Assignment 2 Dropbox for Turnitin testing and grading.