1. Why is it useful for a manager to understand group behavior? Why is it useful for an employee?
2. Recall a situation in which you may have encountered or observed groupthink (either as a member of a group or as a target or simple observer).
3. Why is it important to make a distinction between “group” and “team”? What kinds of behaviors might be different in these assemblages?
4. How are other organizational characteristics different for a team-based organization?
5. Some say that changing to a team-based arrangement “just makes sense” for organizations. What are the four primary reasons why this might be so?
6. If employees are happy working in the traditional boss-hierarchical organization, why should a manager even consider changing to a team-based organization?
7. Explain the circumstances under which a cross-functional team is useful in organizations.
8. Why is planning the change important in the implementing process?
9. What can happen if your organization prematurely starts building a team-based organization by clarifying the mission and then selecting the site for the first work teams?
10. What are two of the most important issues facing team-based organizations?