Develop three goals for two functional areas within an organization and identify activities that support achievement of each goal, using strategic alignment worksheets. Then write a 2–3 page summary analysis of the strategic alignment work you did.
Note: The assessments in this course build upon each other, so you are strongly encouraged to complete them in sequence.
Effective management encompasses four principal elements: planning, organizing, leading, and controlling the limited resources of an organization to achieve stated goals. This assessment focuses on the first of these elements: planning.
An important responsibility of managers is to communicate the organizational vision, mission, and goals, and develop and execute strategies for achieving them. For this assessment, you will take on the role of a manager in a case study scenario, to plan how you will communicate goals to your team and develop achievement strategies and criteria. Your job as the department manager is to convert the organizational goals you have been given into departmental activities that can be accomplished and measured, and to align the daily activities of your department with the overall company goals.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Evaluate the purpose and relevance of management roles.
- Analyze factors that define and shape management in the human resources functional area.
- Analyze factors that define and shape management in a declared functional area.
- Competency 2: Evaluate how planning and decision-making influence the roles of a manager.
- Analyze the value of planning in strategic management.
- Create management goals for a human resources functional area.
- Create management goals for a declared functional area.
- Identify activities to achieve chosen goals for a declared functional area.
- Identify activities to achieve chosen goals for a human resources functional area