You will create this assignment following the Assignment Detail instructions below. This assignment will be submitted in the Unit 2 – Submission Assignment lesson in intellipath.
Review the tutorial titled How to Submit the Intellipath Submission Assignment.
Please submit your work to this week’s Intellipath Unit Submission lesson. Click the Upload button within the submission lesson to access the submission area. Click the Select File button to upload your document, and then click “OK” to finish.
Review the scenario, and then use the following to create a journal entry. Journal entries provide the writer with an opportunity to collect their thoughts and reflect in a less formal way than they would in a traditional essay. Although a journal is not a traditional essay in format or tone, all of the elements necessary for good writing still apply, including attention to grammar, thorough proofreading and spelling checks, and presenting views in an organized paragraph structure.
You have been asked by your company to talk to a group of political leaders here in the United States. As you scan the crowd, you see only a few women in the audience. One week later, you give the same talk in Sweden and find there are a lot more women in the crowd. You ask yourself why.
Review the following statistics for women in government:
- In the United States in 2015, women held 20% of the seats in Congress (Rutgers, 2017).
- In 2014, women held 43.6% of the seats in the Swedish Parliament (Sweden, 2017).
Parental leave was a hot topic in the United States during the recent election. Parental leave policies may affect the representation of women in politics. Review the following statistics on parental leave (Popovich, 2014):
- The United States currently offers 12 weeks of job-protected unpaid leave to working mothers.
- Sweden offers 60 weeks of paid leave, which can be split between both mothers and fathers.
The following chart provides a visual comparison of paid maternal leave as of 2015 of several countries including the United States and Sweden (Popovich, 2014):
Write a journal entry which is 1-2 double-spaced pages in length that addresses the following questions. You are not required to include a cover page, but if you refer to information from your textbook or other sources, be sure you provide in-text citations in accordance with APA requirements. Make sure you refer to the rubric to ensure you address all the requirements for the paper.
- Description: Do social policies such as parental leave affect how many women serve in government and other jobs? How?
- Interpretation and reflection: What are the benefits of paid parental leave for society, for the population, and for health? What types of changes, if any, do you think the United States should make to its current parental leave policy?
Popovich, N. (2014, December 3). The US is still the only developed country that doesn’t guarantee paid maternity leave. The Guardian. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/dec/03/-sp-america-only-developed-country-paid-maternity-leave
Rutgers. (2017). Women in U.S. Congress 2015. Retrieved from http://www.cawp.rutgers.edu/women-us-congress-2015
Sweden. (2017). Gender equality in Sweden. Retrieved from https://sweden.se/society/gender-equality-in-sweden/
Assignment CriteriaProficient DescriptorPointsContent DescriptionJournal Description:
• Provides personal response to the issues raised in the scenario
• Demonstrates critical thinking in connecting the given scenario to key course concepts from readings and other academic resources.
• Makes relevant inferences through contextual explanations and examples. /20 pts.Interpretation/ReflectionJournal reflection:
• Demonstrates insight and awareness of the relevance of the questions and their cultural implications to the world and society
• Examines personal assumptions and explores alternative perspectives.
• Includes what was learned from engaging with the questions and how it will inform personal behavior in the future, demonstrating growth and awareness. /20 pts.Writing QualityJournal response is well-articulated, including in-text citations and references in accurate APA Style as needed, and is free from grammar, punctuation, usage, and spelling errors./10 pts.Total/50 pts.
If you are planning to repurpose an assignment or submit one you have used before, please let your instructor know. If an instructor is not made aware of work being repurposed or reused, he or she will treat the assignment as a plagiarized task and reserves the right to post an F grade and submit a task for review to administration until proof of originality is provided. Click here for more information.
The following are some tips if you have problems submitting your assignment:
- Resave in the proper format per the Assignment Detail instructions, and resubmit.
- Submit with a different Web browser.
- Submit from a different computer.
- Call Technical Support at 877-221-5800, Menu Option 2. They are open 24/7.
- If you are still having difficulties after trying steps 1–4, please contact your course instructor.
Make sure you submit this assignment by the listed due date. Late deductions will apply for this assignment as follows:
- Assignments submitted within 7 calendar days after the stated due date: 10% penalty of total assignment points.
- Assignments submitted 8–14 calendar days after the stated due date: 20% penalty of total assignment points.
- Assignments submitted 15–21 calendar days after the stated due date: 30% penalty of total assignment points.
- Assignments submitted 22–28 calendar days after the stated due date: 40% penalty of total assignment points.
- No assignments, including late assignments, will be accepted after the end of the course unless an approved Incomplete has been granted.