DNP graduates are expected to apply research findings and integrate nursing science into evidence-based practice. To develop your ability to engage in this high level of nursing practice, you will analyze the strengths and weaknesses of a research study over the next several weeks using the concepts presented throughout Weeks 1 through 9 of the course. Your final analysis will be a 5- to 7-page paper that includes the following:
• Brief one to two paragraph overview of the study
• Two to three strengths of the study and support for your selection (i.e. why is this a strength)
• Two to three weaknesses of the study and support for your selection (i.e. why is this a weakness)
• Note: The strengths and weaknesses you identified should be in relation to design, sampling, data collection, statistical analysis, results and discussion of the study
• Proposed changes to improve the quality of the study, capitalizing on the strengths and improving on the weaknesses identified in the study
• Summary of the implications for nursing practice
The purpose of the analysis is to help you develop a deeper understanding of the research process, to inspire you to think critically and deeply about research on a specific topic, and to strengthen your ability to integrate research findings into evidence-based nursing practice. This assignment also gives you practice in analyzing the research literature, which will support you when you begin your DNP project.